Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Baby Blues

Those who knew me before Henry was in my life knew that I did not want a baby until I was 30. I wanted to wait, get married by the time I was 23, enjoy being married, travel, THEN have a baby.

When I met Henry, he wanted to be married by the time he was 26, have kids by the time he was 28, two kids by the time he was 30. 

Henry is a year older than me. 
That puts me at 2, not one, TWO kids, by the time I am 29.

I remember meeting Henry in February of 2009. By June of 2009, I remember Henry bought us amazing Mavericks tickets and booked us a room at Hotel ZaZa in downtown Dallas. After the game, I remember laying in bed talking about everything. Then Henry blurting out that he already had the date he was going to propose to me. 

I was shocked. 

I tried to act all cool and non-chalant. I mean I had just gotten out of a 5 year relationship December 2008 - who had plans to propose December of 2009 -  I was extremely leery of promised futures. 

Deep down though I was squeeling with joy, and in the dark grinning from ear to ear!

Henry was not like any guy I had met. 

He was honest.
Brutally honest.

He would straight up say when he saw a hot girl. 
He didn't pretend he wasn't looking or checking her out. He brought her to my attention too.
 I admired that. 
The guy before Henry was a lying, cheating, good-for-nothing dog. 
Henry's up-front honesty, even though I didn't care to hear it all the time, was deeply admired. 

I even remember one of the first things Henry said to me was, "Don't expect me to be a gentleman. I am not going to open doors or pull out your chair." 

Again, honesty. 

So, even though Henry and I had only known each other 4 months - he had been nothing but an open book with me. 
We fully trusted each other. 
Something I was NOT use to, at all. 

Sure enough he proposed April 2010. 
He had actually purchased the ring with the help of my sister December of 2009.

Naturally, in a relationship you discuss kids. 
Now that we were engaged, Henry really stressed his love for kids. 

He is the youngest of 6, with each sibling having numerous kids. And let me tell you! Kids gravitate towards Henry!! They adore him. Babies don't cry when he holds him, toddlers belonging to strangers want him to play with him or pick them up, his nieces and nephews adore him. It is truly the craziest thing I have ever seen - his dad is the same way. 

Kids just can't get enough of Henry. 

Seeing how kids love Henry, and how Henry loves kids changed my perspective on when to have babies. 
Now don't get me wrong, my Andrology job did too. 
There were so many women coming in my age or even YOUNGER who were having infertility issues. All said the same thing, "Well, we wanted to get married, travel, enjoy married life....and here I am. Unable to have kids on our own." 
But regardless, Henry's affinity for children was something I couldn't help but love. It made me want our own kids and to see him with OUR children. 

I had never once before ever had this burning passion for wanting kids. 
It was like before it was something I knew would eventually happen, like just out of habit - meet a guy, get married, have babies, kind of habit.
Now that I was with Henry, I wanted a baby of our own more than ever.
 I wanted a little bundle of OUR DNA to have, to hold, to love.

Going to the A&M game this past weekend only amplified our baby blues. Sitting in the Alumni section with all the former Aggies and their kids was something that truly brought tears to my eyes.
 I wanted my own little boy to dress up in Aggie gear and tote around to games! Every child that was in plain site had us pointing, "Oh! Look at that baby!" "That little girl is the cutest thing!" "Look at those three sons and all their Aggie Jersey's! How fun!"

If all things go as planned, which I know God has plans of his own, we are hoping to be preggo with our own lil future Aggie by the end of January/February. Hoping for an October baby, like me. :-) 

I hope we end up with two wonderful boys!
Henry wants a boy and a girl. 

Odd? 
That I want all boys? Yea, people keep telling me that. 
BUT, I want two cute boys that I can teach to country dance, and take to football practice (or whatever sport, except baseball, BORING!). 
I want two adorable country boys, just like their daddy. :-)
This world honestly needs more men like Henry. 
He is such an amazing man. 
Even though he didn't start off as a gentleman, he sure has come around on his own. 

Needless to say, I have been pinning baby stuff like CRAZY!! haha
If you want, check out my Baby Board:

6 comments:

  1. Heather, this is so sweet. I know you'll be a great mommy and the experience will open a new world to you! You'll be a great mommy, but I sure wouldn't want you to miss out on having a daughter because they will always be your friend and through the years of increasing age and wisdom, that friendship will deepen. But, boys are pretty great as well and I do think you would raise very respectable, gentlemen who would add greatness to this world. As for honesty in a relationship, I have to say that it is crucial. Never think it is okay to hid secrets for that is the start of selfish destruction. If you both will always be honest with yourself and with each other, with kindness and sweetness toward each other, then you will be able to conquer the dark times that will come --- and it always comes --- but you can be better prepared with your skills to battle it and return to lightness. I love you and above all, your mom will be so delighted for you to be "preggo" that I'll probably hit the ground when you tell me. A handful of people will share your joy on such a heavy level and I'm definitely a part of that handful! Fun, challenging, blessed days are in front of you!

    Momma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to make that special visit to you for the fabulous news!! I was at dinner last night and they were having a reveal party. I didn't quite understand what was going on at first. I saw a bunch of people standing around a lady who was about to cut cake, everyone's camera's aiming toward her, everyone grinning. I then heard someone whisper "I think it's a boy". She cut the cake and it was a chocolate cake with white filling. She yelled, "Its going to be a white baby!" Everyone started laughing, but were confused. "Wait, what? So does that mean boy or girl!?" lol The preggo lady started laughing and said, " Well I guess we will find out later, but until then, we will just eat with these..." As she pulled out a handful of pink plates, pink napkins, pink forks. Everyone started cheering. It was uber sweet! Then she had her laptop to show everyone her live ultrasound and to hear the heartbeat. My heart was fluttering with joy for this unknown woman. Which inspired me to write this post. :-)

      Delete
  2. I be a fantabulous faux-aunt for them too! ;) hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you will!!!
      I can just see it now - we will have the kids with the most DIY, crafty-decor birthday parties, EVER! lol

      Delete
  3. Hi Alana, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhh, Heather, I think you have an inkling of how excited I would be to get that special visit. I can only imagine how excited I will be --- over the top. It'll be a HUGE first for your dad and I! Being a grandma is one role I look forward to with all my heart!!!!!

    I won't care what we get, boy or girl, I'm going to eventually be giddy with happiness over little fingers and toes!!!!!!!

    Momma

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and knowing you stopped by - even if it's anonymous ;-P - so leave me some love! XoXo