Monday, April 30, 2012

Life of an Andrologist

        My awesome job title is "Andrologist" - or "Andrology Technician". I work alongside four doctors who are Sub-Speciality Board Certified in Reproductive Endocrinology, Infertility. Patients struggling with conceiving come to our office for help, for one reason or another. If the physician recommends anything regarding the male aspect, semen analysis, DNA Fragmentation, sperm antibody, fructose, etc. I am the go-to girl. So in a nut-shell - I play with sperm all day! YIPPEE!

        Did I see myself doing this for the rest of my life when I decided on a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from Texas A&M? Nope! I didn't even know this job existed. ha! But thanks to http://www.indeed.com/, which is the equivalent of Google for jobs, I found this awesome job. Boy am I glad I did!?
        I love this job. Yes, people hear of what I do and they gag, or say, "Gross!", however I have one hell of a job to be proud of. We have the sweetest couples, sometimes not so sweet, that come in wanting to start a family. I play a vital role in helping these couples fulfill their dream. What is even better is when they send us those absolutely adorable baby announcements!


        However, there are days this job makes me want to cry. You see these patients for weeks, months, sometimes years - trying to conceive. You hear their stories, you get to know them, and they become your friends. It breaks my heart when a couple I love goes through a treatment cycle, news of a positive BhCG (Pregnancy blood test), they come in for their OB Sono.....and no heartbeat. You hope it is just a little too soon, and wait a few more days for a repeat before you make the definite decision on a D&C or Methotrexate injection. It's heartbreaking.

Today is one of those days.

1 comment:

I love comments and knowing you stopped by - even if it's anonymous ;-P - so leave me some love! XoXo